Tuesday, August 22, 2006

First day of school!

First day is over! I found all my classrooms no problem, met the teachers, even began in some of the books... yada yada. My seven am class is going to be a pain some days (gotta love getting up at 5:45 in the morning!), but it's totally worth it. Anyways... here's what my classes are like! ---

Speech: I love this class already! And, ironically, I'm the only person who's not just taking it because they have to. I'm really looking forward to learning how to write and actually present a speech (for me, it's the actual presenting that's the hard part). The teacher's great - she's really clear, easy to follow and work with, and her lectures keep your attention. Which is a good thing at seven in the morning!

English comp: Not my favorite class, but I'll survive. The teacher for this class is a serious stickler - she's an extremely precise, extremely focused, extremely strict. She's already got every single day of class planned out. None of my other teachers, not even for macro, are anywhere near that organized. In my opinion, the precision/focus/strictness is a good thing, but it makes her a little harder to work with. And, just to contrast her to my other teachers - she's the only teacher that's going to quiz us on the syllabus. And she's the only teacher that gave us homework.

Macro: Definitely going to be my most challenging class. My teacher's a bit disorganized, and his lectures aren't exactly exciting, but the material covered is going to be really neat to learn. First class was pretty slow, but I have a feeling that it'll get tougher - soon.

Sociology: This class is going to be so much fun! I'll have a lot of work to do, but it'll be fun to do. And the teacher's awesome! He's an outgoing, easygoing kind of guy, really easy to work with, and his lectures aren't necessarily straight out of the book. Matter of fact, he likes to ramble and go off on a tangent! So, while it's all technically on-topic, it's not just fact, fact, fact.

History: Okay, as a norm, I like doing "history" on my own - reading books, looking at timelines, researching, etc. Apart from that, I usually hate history. Every single history textbook I've read has been awful. But this history class is great! My book isn't fantastic, but the teacher takes everything and makes it really interesting.

So overall... first day went well! I still have one more class to sign up for (organ), but it's at CSU, not the junior college, so classes haven't started yet. Tomorrow should be interesting - I get to start riding my bike to school. And I have to bike to my organ lesson, on the other end of town... oh, joy. We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow so hows classes now that youre into the semester about two weeks now?? getting better and better or some of them getting worse and worse? tell all plz!